Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Visit to Mokpo

Last week Keegan was out at sea on a trial for the second of four ships he's working on. Sophie and I didn't want to stay at home alone, so we decided to visit Nate, Eliza, and two-month-old Marriet in Mokpo, about a three hour drive away.

Sophie and Marriet confer about techniques for keeping the parents up all night.

Sophie and I left on Wednesday morning and had a successful drive, with only a few tears in the last fifteen minutes or so. Eliza had prepared a delicious pasta sauce for dinner, and we had a good time catching up with our friends and oohing and ahhing about how Marriet is growing. I was a little worried about how Sophie would sleep in an unfamiliar place, but she did pretty well. She woke up often but fell back to sleep easily each time. Our white noise machine really helps, I think.

Thursday we got off to a late start and didn't do anything all day except take a nice walk around the area close to Nate and Eliza's apartment with Sveva the dog. Both babies fell asleep in their strollers and gave us mommies a nice break. Eliza made stir fry with brown rice and pineapples for dinner.

On Friday we mustered the troops in the morning for a trip to Marriet's pediatrician for vaccinations. The doctor is in a large maternity hospital absolutely swarming with babies and children. Eliza is quite happy with the doctors there, as they apparently speak good English and are very helpful. I am jealous. I was able to weigh Sophie at the hospital, and she is now up to seven kilograms (15 pounds, 7 ounces)! After the doctor visit, we went grocery shopping. Marriet slept in the Baby Bjorn and Sophie slept in her car seat/carrier in the shopping cart while Eliza and I raided the baby department and picked out some fresh red snapper for dinner. In the afternoon we took another walk, and Nathan cooked up the fish with green onions and garlic for a delicious meal.

Saturday was another late start, especially since Nate and I both Skyped with the grandparents in the morning. We took a long, cold, and windy walk in the afternoon. We were all underdressed because the thermometer said it was quite warm, but we forgot to take into account the wind and the quickly setting sun. The babies weathered the cold well, though, and again fell asleep for us. In the evening, Nathan brewed some beer and then produced the most delicious mild Thai curry ever. I had already put Sophie to bed when it was finally ready, and I enjoyed eating sans baby, while watching "The Social Network."

On Sunday we managed to get out in the early afternoon and have lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant where you can make your own spring rolls and eat hot tasty pho (noodle soup).

Mommy enjoys a handmade spring roll. Sophie is unimpressed.

The owner of the restaurant and our waitress were smitten with the babies and danced and made faces at Sophie to make her smile. They also picked her up and showed her off to whoever was back in the kitchen. She was a bit apprehensive but went along with her admirers. After lunch we went to Lotte Mart where I had a lot of fun spending some gift certificates on adorable baby hats and toys. Sophie fell asleep in the car on the way home, and Eliza and I had a chance for some tea and girl talk while Nate took Sveva for a walk. He then reprised the award-winning curry from the previous night. This time Sophie was awake and had a chance to try some eggplant, which she loved.

Keegan actually got back two days early from his sea trial, so Sophie and I packed up on Monday morning to head back to Geoje. She slept like a log most of the way home and barely cried or fussed at all. What a difference from a few months ago when she'd start screaming from the time we left the parking lot and not stop until we arrived at our destination! Sophie was very happy to see Keegan. She was a bit confused in Mokpo because Nathan, who looks similar to Keegan and who gets home every evening just like Keegan, had his own baby to hold and love on. Sophie would smile at him adoringly when he got home and then look mildly put out when he bypassed her to say hello to his own daughter. So seeing "Real Daddy" again was a big treat. We also had a chance to try out Sophie's brand new high chair, which arrived while we were gone. It's still a bit big for her, but she was outgrowing the Bumbo seat with tray, so we were happy to make the switch.

Sophie enjoying baby yogurt in the too-small Bumbo.

Sophie enjoying broccoli in her new throne-like highchair.

We had a great time with our friends and are actually looking forward to Keegan's next sea trial in less than two weeks!

No comments: