Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Things Are Finally Moving Along

We've gotten lots of news in the past week or so. In addition to learning a bit about our apartment and getting the first bits of advice about what and how to pack, we now have a departure date: July 10. I can't believe how soon that is! The movers will come to pack up our house on July 7 and 8 (we hope) and then we'll fly out of Norfolk early on July 10. Our flight goes from Norfolk to Detroit, Detroit to Tokyo, and Tokyo to Busan. We'll arrive in Korea at nearly 9 p.m. on July 11. What a long trip! The flight from Detroit to Tokyo is 12.5 hours! We're not particularly looking forward to that, I can tell you.

Preparations are in full swing. I'm trying to prepare the house (slow going) and am studying Korean every day, using a few books and CD's, the Rosetta Stone language program, and lessons with a Korean student at ODU named Jihyeon. My vocabulary and reading ability are growing by leaps and bounds, but my practical ability to put words together in sentences definitely needs some work. I think we will be in Korea for several weeks before I'm confident enough to do basic things around town using Korean. Keegan has been working hard keeping up with paperwork and making arrangements with the company.

If anyone wants to come visit us here in Norfolk before we leave, just let us know. My schedule is pretty flexible these days, and we'd love to see anyone who has time to get down to this neck of the woods.

No comments: